Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Zen, Brigham Young, and Finals

As of my drafting this post I am in the middle of finals week. So many projects to do, so little time.
Or so I've been led to believe.
I'm trying to be Zen about it all and it seems to be working.
 I have an art final that has hit a snag, so to speak. A stray brush stoke seems to have shot my project that I spent hours on right in the foot. Now, normally this could cause me to reach a whole new level of stress, and that stress would combine with the stress of my other finals and snow ball into me eating an entire gallon of Baskin Robbins in despair.

"Who am I kidding? I can't afford fancy stuff like that."

But I am trying to take life as it is, one moment at a time. I recall something said by Brigham Young while the Salt Lake Temple was being built. The Temple's construction was taking a while and some people had concerns about it.
Some will inquire, “Do you suppose we shall finish this Temple, brother Brigham?” I have had such questions put to me already. My answer is, I do not know, and I do not care anymore about it than I should if my body was dead and in the grave, and my spirit in Paradise. I never have cared but for one thing, and that is, simply to know that I am now right before my Father in Heaven. If I am this moment, this day, doing the things God requires of my hands, and precisely where my Father in Heaven wants me to be, I care no more about tomorrow than though it never would come. I do not know where I shall be tomorrow, nor when this Temple will be done—I know no more about it than you do. If God reveals anything for you, I will tell you of it as freely as to say, go to City Creek, and drink until you are satisfied.
The Temple Cornerstones—The Apostleship, &c
A Sermon by President B. Young April 6, 1853, at the General Conference.
Reported by G. D. Watt. http://jod.mrm.org/1/131 

Here we see a 'live life in the moment' mentality. We ought to be most concerned with what we are doing right now. Of course we need to plan for the future and of course we need to learn from the past but what good is that if we no nothing good and worthwhile in the present. I am not worried about my art project because I am not now working on it. Since I am not working on it, there is nothing I can do about it. I have set aside time to fix it and I plan to worry about it then. For now, I will worry about writing a blog, in a few minutes I will be worrying about paying attention in class.
For me, to be Zen is to take life as it comes, as it has always come, and as it always will come; one second at a time. 
A rightous life is not made up of grandiose events that took a great deal of planning, it is made up of countless moments of asking, "is this what I should be doing right now?" and making the best choices for that moment.
Nameste ya'll,
Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment