Sunday, April 6, 2014

Boring, Explanatory, Maiden Voyage Post GO!



I've been intending to start a blog like this for a while now. I had so many excuses, but I guess I finally caved. So since this is the first post I suppose I'll try and explain what I hope to accomplish with this. Of course, to do that I'll have to explain a little about myself.

Boring, explanatory, maiden voyage post GO!

My name is Michael. I was raised as a member of the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and still am a member. Back in 2012 I attended (and, as of 2014 still am attending) Brigham Young University-Idaho. I've always had a fascination with the various religions and cultures of the world, so when I found that they offered a world religion course here I pounced n it. It was my great fortune that the class I enrolled in was taught by one Gary Purse. Brother Purse had had a unique practice of beginning each of his classes with a moment of meditation, which he justified and helping us learn about Buddhist and Hindu practices as well as improve spirituality in our own faith. To put is simply I got hooked on meditation and mindfulness.

Since that time I have attended Brother Purse's meditation workshop as often as I can and have found this practice of mindfulness and meditation to be remarkably compatible with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I guess that brings me to what I'm trying to do with this blog. I believe that the Church's doctrine and practices point us to mindfulness and encourage the art of meditation. However, I find that my fellow Mormons do not have a culture of meditation or are wholly ignorant of how and why to meditate. I hope that with this blog I can, in some small way perhaps, encourage meditation among Mormons.

So, here's what you can (and can't) expect from this blog.

What you can expect:

  • Discussions on the mechanics and 'how to's of meditation.
  • Commentary on doctrines and statements of Church authorities in regards to mindfulness and meditation.
  • Insights and observations from me.
  • My opinions, for which I alone am entirely responsible.
  • Assertions that Meditation helps all humanity (including Latter-day Saints).
  • Assertions that we would all be better off using the Deseret Alphabet. Because it's my blog and I do what I want, yo.

What you can't expect:
  • Politics.
  • Me agreeing with you.
  • You agreeing with me.
  • The Spanish Inquisition.
So that's what you'll get here at the Meditative Mormon.
Expect a post soon where I discuss mindfulness principles that popped up during General Conference.
Namaste, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment